As they used to say on the popular 2000s TV show “The O.C.”, Happy Christmahanakwanzika! We here at YNPN hope you have a happy holiday season and that you and your family are able to enjoy some quality time together with hopefully a little less drama than the Griswold’s from the holiday classic, “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.”
Get in the Spirit!
Have only a day or two off of work? Make the most of it. Don’t just sit around and Netflix (although there is the new “A Very Murray Christmas”) and don’t be a Scrooge – enjoy this season of celebration!
- Drive around and look at the lights – it’s also the last year to go to The Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Sing carols and drink the punch – And FYI it’s supposed to be “Let it snow!” not “Let it go!”
- Build a gingerbread house – They sell kits all over including Publix, Target, and Walgreens.
- Volunteer – Give back and take a few hours out of your schedule to help out at a local foodbank, animal shelter, or other nonprofit.
- The holidays not really your style? One word: Festivus. Celebrated on December 23rd and with origins from “Seinfeld,” this holiday is, uh, a little different. Traditions include having an unadorned aluminum pole vs. Christmas tree, an airing of grievances, a dinner, and “feats of strength” which involves wrestling family members. You get ‘em tiger!
Are you Naughty or Nice?
Aunt Susan asked what you would like for Christmas but you don’t really need anything actually… Well other than monetary funds but she doesn’t go for that, “tsk tsk dear, I want to get you a gift!” Why not ask for something you wouldn’t necessarily purchase yourself? Here are some gift ideas for nonprofit professionals:
+ Business card case – Now who else has been at a networking event and went to get a card out of their bag or briefcase and had to fumble around to find it? That so does not look good. There are many different styles of business card cases from leather to metal and even wood. Stores such as Things Remembered have them as well Etsy which offers a bunch of unique and quirky ones. You can even get it personalized with your name engraved or a photo put on the front.
+ Nice pen – When you’re in a meeting with your board, Executive Director, or major donor, bic pens don’t always cut it. A nice fountain pen adds an extra elegance and helps you win at adulting.
+ Starbucks gift card – Caffeine, am I right? That is all. Oooh and they have cookies too!
Written by: Arika Richardson